Chicken and mushrooms must be made for one another, and this dish is proof.
- For Sauteed Chicken
- 2 lb frying chicken parts, skin on (breasts, thighs, drums, wings)
- 2 Tbs butter and 1Tbs oil for frying
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- A pinch of thyme
- For Deglazing Sauce
- 1 Tbs minced shallots or scallions
- 1/2 c chicken stock
- 1/2 c dry white wine
- 1 Tbs butter for final sauce
- 2 Tbs minced fresh parsley
- 2 c mushrooms (I used half baby bellas and half miatake
- 1 1/2 c heavy cream
1. Brown the chicken- rinse and dry chicken. In a large cast-iron skillet, melt butter and oil over high heat. When oil is hot but not smoking, add chicken (skin down), and turn once a minute for 10 minutes. Chicken will brown to a nice "walnut" color. Add salt, pepper and thyme.
2. Finishing the cooking- reduce heat to low/medium, cover the chicken and let simmer 6 minutes. Turn and simmer another 6 minutes. Turn once more and simmer another 6 minutes. Set chicken aside.
3. Sautee mushrooms in a separate pan in oil for 8-10 minutes.
4. Deglazing and cream sauce- immediately skim off all but 1 Tbs of the chicken grease. Add shallots/scallions and stir constantly for 2-3 minutes. Add chicken stock and wine, boil down and continue stirring for 2 minutes. Stir in the mushrooms and cream, boil down on medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes, add butter for flavor if desired. Salt and pepper to taste.
|L: Deglazing; C: W/ Cream; R: Boiled down|
6. Serve with rice or risotto.