- 1 hard headed cabbage
- 1 lb ground sausage
- 1 package stuffing, prepared (I used whole wheat "for chicken" stuffing)
- 1 onion, diced and sauteed
- 2 c red sauce
1. Blanch a head of cabbage. Core the cabbage 2-3" deep. Bring a large pot of water to boil and add cabbage (cored side up) to boiling water. Gently loosen leaves one at a time with tongs or wooden spoons. I removed about 15 leaves before the leaves became too small to use for wraps.
2. Add blanched leaves to a cold water bath, then set aside in a strainer.
3. Make cabbage stuffing. Mix ground sausage, sauteed onion, and stuffing with hands.
4. Stuff cabbage. Add a heaping spoon of sausage mixture to a piece of cabbage. Set it right over the more rigid spine of the cabbage leaf. Then fold the softer end over the sausage (effectively folding the leaf in half) and roll the cabbage into a nice little blanket. Repeat with all leaves until sausage/stuffing mix is gone.
(If you run out of leaves before stuffing, make meatballs and let them simmer in the sauce.)
5. Cover with red sauce, bake at 300 for 1 hour. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.