- 10 raw, peeled jumbo shrimp
- 1/2 c whole wheat flour
- 1/2 t baking powder
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/2 c flaked coconut
- a beer from the fridge (you can have a few sips... more than a few sips really)
- 2 c oil
- 1/2 c apple sauce
- 1 T dijon mustard
1. Preheat oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. You want it hot but not too hot... until a drop of batter goes in and bubbles up instantly (I need a kitchen thermometer... Sorry!).
2. Combine dry ingredients. Add beer and stir until your batter is the consistency of pancake batter. Lay out coconut onto a plate.
3. Pat shrimp dry with a paper towel, then drop into beer batter. Remove from batter, quickly dredge into coconut, and place into hot oil.
4. Fry for 3 or 4 minutes on each side, remove with golden brown.
5. Combine apple sauce and dijon and use as a dipping sauce.