Saturday, October 29, 2011

Chron-Tons

I've been holding onto this recipe for weeks because I couldn't think of a name for this odd and delightful creation that evolved in my kitchen one evening. I know this combo sounds a little odd, but you're going to be sorry if you miss out on these scrumptious little wontons!!


Ingredients:
  • 1/2 lb fresh mozzarella
  • 2 T pesto
  • 1 avocado, split in half, seed removed, and removed from the peel
  • 15 wonton squares
  • 1 egg, beaten

Directions:
1. In a bowl, combine a hunk of mozzarella, the avocado and pesto. Squish them all together with your hands until it's a little chunky, but mostly creamy. I suppose you could do this with a food processor, but I don't have one :(   [There is one on my wedding registry at Macys.com, along with many other wonderful kitchen gadgets. I hope for my kitchen to be renovated in any style but "dark ages" after the wedding!]



2. Lay out wonton squares and place 1 T of filling in just off center in each one. You then line two edges of the wonton with egg wash and fold it in half diagonally. Take the two ends of the hypotenuse (I don't know how else to describe this...) / aka don't grab the right angle, grab the two smaller angles, and pull them together away from the right angle.  And in case my genius geometric description didn't make that perfectly clear (I never liked geometry...), here's a photograph from the wonton wrapper!



3. Fry them at 350 for 1-2 minutes on each side, until golden brown. Move from heat onto a paper towel lined plate, and let cool for a few minutes.










NOTE: These don't reheat very well, as most fried items do not. So, get'em while the gettin's good!


No comments:

Post a Comment