Thursday, June 30, 2011

Deep Dish Skillet Pizza - My first post!



This is my first contribution to Goodies and Grub so I guess I should formally introduce myself! I am the previously mentioned friend, Monica. I have varied experience in the kitchen, from learning from my parents growing up, to having my own culinary radio show while attending Miami U, I have worked as a short order kitchen cook and manager and even spent some time in a French kitchen in Cape Cod as a sous chef. I'm a foodie friend who is super proud of my girls and all of their kitchen prowess, you're both a couple of culinary cuties!



Like the girls, I also feed the man in my life. His name is Fred and he loves to eat just about as much as I love to cook. He's a meat and potatoes kinda guy and I like to try things that are a bit more daring, he's only worried until the fork hits his mouth. He doesn't do much cooking himself, but he enjoys baking and has promised to teach me his grandma's cinnamon roll recipe which I look forward to sharing with you all!




And now for the meat of the matter...the delicious pizza I stuffed in my belly for dinner last night :)


I have wanted to try this for so long, pizza in a cast iron skillet! And, pizza is the perfect midweek go to for using up leftovers! For a quick and easy fix, I used a recipe of yeastless dough and leftover breaded chicken parmesan.

Yeastless Dough:

2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
2/3 cup water
Olive oil

Mix dry ingredients in a medium bowl, add water and then knead together for approximately 2 minutes or until well blended and a little sticky to the touch.

Preheat oven to 325. Use olive oil to coat the bottom of a cast iron skillet, I used a #8 pan. Press dough into the bottom of the skillet and slightly up the sides. Coat the dough top with olive oil before spreading down the pizza sauce. This helps seal the dough to keep it from becoming soggy from the sauce. You can use whatever ingredients you have available, I used leftover chicken parmesan, sliced into thin strips. I started it with Schiavone's red sauce, you can find it at Kroger and it is a perfectly sweet and garlicy sauce manufactured by family friends of mine. A layer of marinated mushrooms, freshly grated parmesan, fresh basil and oregano (from my little balcony garden), and crushed red pepper sealed the deal.

Place the pizza in your preheated oven for 25 minutes and then finish off under the broiler for the last 5 minutes, or until crispy and browned to perfection!

2 comments: