Monday, July 11, 2011

Lasagna

Lasagna has always been a classic at my house. Sometimes I throw in the occasional surprise ingredient, but by and large I stick with the, "If it ain't broke," rule here. This is another one that I suspect my roommate will be checking the blog for once I move out, so I'm putting up detailed pictures :)

Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hr 15 min
Serves: 5-6 (or 1 and left overs!)

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb lean ground beef
  • 1 lb ground sausage
  • 2 c shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1 16 oz can of Hunt's Garlic and Onion red sauce
  • 1 chopped onion (optional)
  • 4 cloves chopped garlic (optional)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 10 lasagna noodles prepared according to the directions on the box (I never use the ready to bake kind, I think they come out funny... so it's up to you but I prefer to boil them ahead of time)
Directions:
    1. Bring a large pot of water to boil and heat a skillet on medium.

    2. Cook noodles according to directions on the box. Simultaneously brown the sausage and beef combo in the skillet. Drain the excess fat off of the meat when it's all the way brown. Salt and pepper to taste.

    3. Preheat the oven to 350 F while you put the lasagna together. Slosh a few spoonfuls of sauce around in the bottom of a casserole dish. This will keep any noodles from sticking to the bottom.

    4. Lay 3 noodles side by side in the bottom of the dish. The 10th noodle is in case any other noodles break... Usually they don't, but lasagna noodles come in boxes of 20, so I'm pretty sure you're supposed to make one extra and eat it.

    5. Add 1/3 of the meat to the noodles, spread evenly.

    6. Add about 1/3 of your remaining sauce to the mix.

    7. Add 1/3 of the mozzarella cheese. (This picture didn't come out... but you get the point)

    8. Repeat 4-7 two more times.

    9. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes. Then uncover and bake for 15 more minutes. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment