Monday, July 18, 2011

Say Say's Enchiladas

Things that I love about this meal:
  • it's easy to make
  • it's well rounded
  • it's healthy (until you slather it with cheese and sour cream)
  • it makes great left overs

Sarah Mapel made delicious enchiladas for me a few years ago and they've been a staple at my house ever since I bogarted her recipe. Of course nothing survives long periods of time in my kitchen with out evolving a little, so I've made my own adjustments.

This is my first week in my new kitchen, and my old roommate's first week without me in her kitchen. Enchiladas were her first blog request :)

Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Serves: 4

Ingredients:
  • 6 large flour tortillas
  • 1 large can of enchilada sauce, I use "mild" and Joe hots it up with hot pepper sauce at the table
  • 3 boneless skinless chicken thighs OR 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
  • 1 c long grain rice
  • 1/2 of a chopped green pepper
  • 1/4 of a thinly sliced vidalia onion

Directions:
    1. Fill a medium sized sauce pan 2/3 of the way full with water and bring it to a boil. Carefully add the chicken (washed, whole) to the water. Let boil 10-15 minutes depending on the size of the pieces of chicken.
    2. In a small saucepan, combine 1 c rice with 2 c water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Once it's fully boiling, cover it and drop the heat to super low for 15 minutes. Don't uncover it during this time, or I'll come to your kitchen and slap your hand with a spoon! When 15 minutes is up, turn it off and let is sit covered until you're ready to use it.
    3. Preheat oven to 350 F.
    4. When the chicken is cooked, dice it into small pieces or shred with with 2 forks.
    5. Layer a small amount of chicken, onion, pepper, and rice onto a tortilla. Don't over do it or you'll have bulging enchiladas that are too big to eat. There are worse problems happening in the world.










    6. Repeat step 5 with the remaining tortillas.
    7. Add a splash of sauce to a casserole dish, then start laying the enchiladas in.

    8. Pour the entire contents of the sauce can into the casserole dish, onto the enchiladas.

    9. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
    10. Add cheese to the top of the enchiladas and put it back in the oven with the heat turned off for another 5 minutes.
    11. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
    12. Top with sour cream if you so desire :)

    1 comment:

    1. These are very very very yummy!!!! I highly recommend them :)

      ReplyDelete