Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Uova al Purgatorio, i.e. Eggs in Purgatory

This is one of my favorite ways to use up what's left in my fridge for an easy and filling meal, perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner! Since this was my dinner, I added ground turkey to my sauce, but for a lighter dish you can nix the extra protien and add fresh vegetables like peppers, spinach or fresh basil.

You'll find that I'm not very good at written recipes, I should probably take more pictures, but I'm easily distracted. Here's the step-by-step sans visual aides:

1/2 Pound ground turkey
2 Cloves garlic, minced
2 Cups red sauce
4 Eggs
Salt & Pepper
Pasta of your choice
Fresh grated Parmesan cheese

1. Brown turkey with minced garlic in a sautee pan, I used my iron skillet.

2. Reduce heat to medium low, add red sauce and simmer.

3. Use a spoon create four wells in the sauce and crack a raw egg into each. Top with fresh cracked salt and pepper.

4. Cover and cook on low until egg whites have cooked through completely and yolks reach desired level of firmness. Leaving them a bit overeasy gives the dish a nice creaminess.

5. Spoon sauce and egg over al dente pasta and cover with fresh grated parmesan cheese.

Wondering where this delicious meal finds its origins? Well that's up for debate, but many like to believe that it arose as a tribute to the great Italian poet Dante as a reference to his description of Purgatory in The Divine Comedy. However, it is a more widely accepted that the dish came as a result of popular vegitarian Italian diets as a way to combine the delicacy of eggs with the simplicity of traditional red sauce. Either way, the combination is "divine".

1 comment: